Ever since I was asked "What do you want to be when you grow up?", my answer has been to be a pediatrician. It wasn't until I made it through my freshman year of college that I realized pre-med was not for me. I stepped back and thought about something I could do with my life that would make me the happiest of all, something that when I woke up- I could be excited about my career. Art. Art is what helped me relieved stress, art was what I was constantly doing in my notebooks as I took notes in class, art was what I wanted to do. Kids was also something I was interested in. I enjoyed babysitting when I was younger. Teaching Art was one of few things that involved my two passions: art and kids. I still enjoy the medical side of things, so I may go back and get into art therapy, but for now I'll stick with teaching. 

I love art. I love working with kids. I'm a bit hesitant about which grade level I would like to teach, but with my degree- I can teach all grade levels. It's a toss up with the grade levels. If I get the younger kids- I can get all that raw creativity. No one has told these kids to draw a certain way- they're just so open and excited for the art supplies to enter their hands. Older kids are more experienced and most of them are there in the classroom because they want to be. To see really detailed, more controversial art- is to stay with teaching high schoolers.
I'd rather be able to have a good conversation with students and make a difference in their life at an older age, so I'm going to try for teaching high school.
For those of you who read this and actually have substituted or know me slightly- which grade level do you feel is the best or most needed of the arts?
I'd rather be able to have a good conversation with students and make a difference in their life at an older age, so I'm going to try for teaching high school.
For those of you who read this and actually have substituted or know me slightly- which grade level do you feel is the best or most needed of the arts?

1 comment:
I was the same way, I really didn't know what I wanted to do for sure, but since I decided on Education, I was pretty sure it was for me. We are a lot alike! :)
Post a Comment